Community College faculty may be eligible for up to $300 in travel reimbursement. Please review the following information prior to making travel arrangements. You are personally responsible for following the guidelines below.
Questions and concerns should be directed to Mark Dempsey at 972.377.1582 or email@example.com.
To be eligible for this level of reimbursement, you must meet the following criteria.
In addition, Collin College travel reimbursement policy requires that the payee (you or your organization) submit a current W9.
The $300 in travel reimbursement can cover the following two categories. Please click the links below for detailed information about allowable expenses. All are listed on the “Request for Travel Reimbursement” form. No exceptions will be made to exceed this $300 per-person cap.
|Travel Category||What you Submit|
|Airfare||Receipt with passenger name, total amount paid,
form of payment, and itinerary
|Lodging||Itemized paid invoice showing payee, method of
payment, and zero balance
This $300 amount is not a flat amount. It's a reimbursement of submitted expenses capped at $300.
Expenses Not Covered
The following expenses are NOT reimbursable. Please see detailed travel categories below for more information.
* Per diem/meals
* Car rentals
* Shuttle/taxi services - both in your home city and in the local Dallas/Frisco area
* Parking - both in your home city and in Dallas/Frisco
* Airline baggage check fees
* Toll fees and gasoline purchases
* Travel agent fees/commissions or flight/travel insurance (includes fees charged by online travel sites)
* Airline upgrades and extra fees
* Hotel room upgrades, valet parking, and personal expenses
* Tips and gratuities
Please note also that Collin College will not reimburse for airline and hotel bundles purchased through online travel sites (e.g. Travelocity Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, etc.) if an itemized airfare or hotel receipt cannot be obtained by the traveler. Many of these sites charge one rate for both airfare and hotel and often the hotel cannot provide the sort of itemized paid invoice that Collin requires for reimbursement. In general, Collin College urges you to avoid these on-line travel websites even if you're not buying a bundled package. If the travel website or the vendor (hotel, airline) cannot provide you an itemized receipt of payment, your expenses will not be reimbursed.
Federal grant rules also prohibit taxpayer dollars be used to reimburse travel made on non-US carriers. Please therefore only fly US-based airlines.
Driving Instead of Flying
Pre-approval is required from the National Convergence Technology Center (CTC) if you plan to drive instead of fly. If you do not get this approved in advance, by Friday, June 22, 2018, these expenses will not be reimbursed. No exceptions.
* The National CTC will reimburse on a first-come, first-served basis until funds are exhausted. Your travel reimbursement eligibility will be confirmed via e-mail within 48 hours of your registration for the event.
* Reimbursement requests will not be processed until after the event ends and after you have provided all required paperwork and original receipts as described above.
* That paperwork is due no later than Friday, August 24, 2018. If you are not able to provide all required documentation by this date you waive your right to reimbursement.
* The National CTC follows Collin College’s policy on travel reimbursements. All decisions of the Collin College Business Office regarding travel reimbursements will be final.
* All reimbursement submissions are subject to review and approval and may not be guaranteed.
* An important rule of thumb: always select the mode of travel that provides the lowest total cost to Collin College. To do otherwise risks the denial of your reimbursement request.
* The reimbursement process can take 4-6 weeks.
Request for Travel Reimbursement form 2018_summer_wc_request_for_travel_reimb_general.pdf
Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate texas_hotel_occupancy_tax_exemption_certificate.pdf
Travel Guidelines Handout (hard copy version of this webpage) 2018_summer_wc_travel_rules_general.pdf
W-9 Form blank_w9.pdf
* Complete and sign the “Request for Travel Reimbursement” form – a paper copy with an ink signature is required. (Please note that at the top, “Travel START Date & Time” refers to the day and time that you left your house and “Travel END Date & Time” refers to the day and time that you returned home.)
* Provide original receipts and invoices – no copies, no faxes. Please tape all receipts to 8 ½ x 11 paper. DO NOT use staples. These will be attached to the “Request for Travel Reimbursement” form.
Completed travel reimbursement forms along with backup documentation are due by Friday, August 24, 2018 to:
National Convergence Technology Center
attn Mark Dempsey
9700 Wade Blvd. #J130
Frisco, TX 75035
All questions regarding participant travel should be directed to: Mark Dempsey 972.377.1582
Reimbursable Expenditure Details
You must submit a receipt with passenger name, total amount paid, form of payment, and itinerary. A “confirmation” or “reservation” email is not enough.
The National CTC will pay for a basic coach seat. A 21-day advance purchase is required for all airline tickets. Specifically, if you buy a ticket after Sunday, June 24, 2018, you will only be reimbursed for the amount the ticket would have been had it been purchased June 24. For instance, if you buy a ticket on June 25 for $200 and Collin College determines that the ticket would have cost $175 on June 24, you will only be reimbursed the $175.
Flight insurance, seat upgrades, early check-in or early boarding, preferred seating (unless there is proof no other seating category is available), or extra-leg room (unless a medical necessity as described by a doctor), and similar fees will not be reimbursed.
If you’re forced to buy a more expensive seat because there was no other seats available on your flight, to be reimbursed for that extra cost, please submit a screen shot or printout proving that no other seats were available to you at the time of purchase.
Again, if you want to drive rather than fly to a destination, you must be pre-approved by the National CTC by Friday, June 22, 2018. You will only be reimbursed for the less expensive mode of travel. More information about driving vs. flying can be found here.
You must submit an itemized paid invoice showing payee, check-in/check-out times, method of payment, and zero balance. A “confirmation” or “reservation” email is not enough.
It is up to the individual to book a hotel room.
If a discounted Working Connections lodging rate has been requested, it's up to the individual to confirm at check-out that the discounted Working Connections rate has been correctly applied.
Collin College will not reimburse a room costing more than $140/night including taxes.
Valet parking, room upgrades, movies, alcohol, or any other similar personal expenses will not be reimbursed.
Texas educators are encouraged to complete and submit the Texas Hotel Occupancy Tax Exemption Certificate to their hotel to be exempt from state taxes. Collin College may not reimburse state occupancy taxes for Texas educators.
Driving Vs. Flying
Driving instead of flying must be pre-approved by Friday, June 22, 2018. Should you choose to drive rather than fly, you will only be eligible for reimbursement of the less expensive mode of travel: either mileage from your home to the Dallas/Frisco hotel or the cost of a round-trip ticket purchased on Sunday, June 24.
|Reimbursements if you fly||Reimbursements if you drive|
|Airfare||The cheaper of: airfare purchased Sun June 24 vs. mileage round-trip home to Dallas/Frisco hotel|
If you are approved to drive instead of flying, you must submit a print-out of your route documenting miles traveled using Google Maps.
Please also note the following:
1. The allowable mileage between two points is the shortest route between your home and your Dallas/Frisco hotel. Mileage is currently reimbursed at 54c/mile and paid to the driver only.
2. You will only be reimbursed the cost of the less expensive mode of travel. For instance, if it costs $150 to fly round trip to North Texas and $250 for mileage, you would only be reimbursed the $150.
3. Toll fees will not be reimbursed. Gasoline purchases will not be reimbursed.
4. Local mileage, including mileage between the Collin College’s Preston Ridge campus (PRC) and your Dallas/Frisco hotel, will not be reimbursed.